Friday, October 29, 2010

Blues Blast Awards Winners Announced

Back in June, I got notice of the Blues Blast Awards nominees and quickly went to work casting my votes. I was disappointed to see a few names missing from the ballot but pleased at some of the names that were there.

The 2010 Blues Blast Music Awards were announced Thursday night, October 29, at Buddy Guy's Legends in Chicago.

Best Contemporary Blues Recording - Nick Moss - Privileged


Best Traditional Blues Recording - Mississippi Heat - Let's Live It Up


Best Blues Song - The Kilborn Alley Blues Band - "Better Off Now"

Best Blues Band - Tommy Castro Band

Best Male Blues Artist - Magic Slim

Best Female Blues Artist - Shemekia Copeland

Best New Artist Debut Recording - Jackie Scott & The Housewreckers - How Much Woman Can You Stand?

Sean Costello Rising Star Award - The Cash Box Kings

2010 Lifetime Achievement Award - Otis Rush


Of all the winners, I think I'm most excited to see the Cash Box Kings on there. I've been a fan for six or so years. Once upon a time, back when I was a nurse, I was working with a gentleman who shared my passion for the blues. I gave him a few bands to check out, he gave me a few. One of those bands: Cash Box Kings. I got home, went online to check them out, fell in love with their sound, and promptly bought the two CDs they had out at the time. I've been a fan ever since.

While I know they've been around for a while, their star is rising on the national scene and I'm glad to see them getting the attention they deserve. Good job, guys!

And congratulations to all the winners!

No comments: