Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Two-fer Tuesday: The Monkees

When I was a little girl, I was a huge fan of the Monkees. Didn't matter that they were big around the time I was in diapers, I knew what I liked. I still know what I like and, dammit, I like the Monkees.

They were the pre-Fab Four to some. A major joke to others. But to millions of fans, they were every bit as deserving of accolades as any other band. I've seen them in concert. Twice.

Their first single, "Last Train To Clarksville", was released August 1966, just months after I was born. You know what? It's a good song! It was good then and it's good now.

Witness:




I can't quite seem to locate a video for "Peter Percival Patterson's Pet Pig Porky" that's anything other than static images, so let's go with another forgotten gem.



Tell me that's not genius!

Super extra bonus video time!



And I fully admit to copping Davy's dance moves from this particular video. Yes, that's right. C'mon down and catch me just about any Thursday night at the local blues joint and you'll see me throw this out for at least a couple songs. For real.




I would have loved to included "(Not Your) Steppin' Stone", but there's a dearth of quality clips available for that one. Same with "Auntie Grizelda" and "Shades of Gray" and a million others.

Once upon a time I owned the entire Monkess collection. On vinyl. Uh huh. I know. Hardcore Monkees fan here.

There are only two rules when you belong to this club:

1) You never utter the other foursome's name in the same sentence as the Monkees.

and

2) Don't ask, "so who's your favorite?"
_____

Written by Mickey Dolenz, "Randy Scouse Git" is another sneaky favorite.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always loved "Last Train To Clarksville" Probably one of my favorites! Whats sad is I don't even have a Monkees CD.

Joanie said...

We must rectify that! In fact, the world must find a way to have at least one Monkees' tune in their collection. Yes, I'm decreeing it thusly!

pamibe said...

Love the Monkees! I'm a Believer and Pleasant Valley Sunday spring to mind. :D